Saturday 6 June 2015

The Pan-Am Torch Run: Unforgettable


It was an amazing experience; almost surreal at times and even more awesome than I expected.

I carried the Pan Am Games Torch in Oshawa yesterday. And I liked it.

It all started on a bit of a lark when I filled out the online application. I used to have a bit of cred with various politicians and the like when I was a working journalist out here, but that was a long time ago so I didn't think I'd get any special treatment. I talked about my love of Oshawa and Durham Region on the application and how I have promoted the city and region over the years and then finished with an attempt at humour by bragging about IPA Tales, the beer blog I (sometimes) write.

Damn if it didn't work. "Congratulations! You have been selected as a torchbearer for the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay!"

Cool.

I got a number (061) and a start point (380 Gibb) and time (5:48 pm) and was told to be at the Civic at 3:45 for orientation and to get my uniform for the relay.
Marta and I

Soon after that I started getting nervous. What if my knee (torn meniscus, arthritis) doesn't hold up well to the run? The last thing I want is to look like an old man or worse, stumble and fall. I wanna look cool, smooooth even, when I carry the torch.

What if I drop it? What if I'm too hungover from the college reunion party I was attending in Burlington the night before? What if I fail the drug test afterwards?

All those thoughts quickly dissipated when I arrived at the Civic, thanks to the energetic and adorable Ms. Strutt, who took us through our paces and got us pumped up for the run.

She also thanked 'Marta' for participating in the relay, except I heard 'Marita' and thought the woman in our group being followed by cameras was Marita Payne, who was a Canadian track star in the 1980s and is now better known as Andrew Wiggins' mother. Except Marita would be in her 50s by now and this woman was 30, 35 tops.

She was clearly a celebrity as there was an entire TV crew following her around and speaking in a Latin language. And then it hit me - or, more accurately, as we stood outside in the rain waiting for the bus to take us to our drop-off spots, another torch bearer told me she was Marta, the soccer player.


Our Torch Relay team
"Marta? The Brazilian superstar?" I replied, running back to my car to retrieve my camera and quickly introducing myself. "Weren't you the World Footballer of the Year?"

"Five times," she corrected me.

And this is the runner who will be passing me the torch. So cool.

And then we were off, with the convoy consisting of our bus, a van holding a gaggle of photographers, and our guardians, which were mostly cops.

It's been a long time since I was chased by cops but on this day it was a good thing.

At each drop-off we cheered the runner as he or she got into position to take their turn with the torch and the friends and family members on the street snapped as many pictures as they could before the torch relay caught up to them.

And then it was my turn. Only problem is my loved ones were standing about 100 metres away from my 'spot.' I started waving them forward and the energetic and adorable Ms. Strutt did the same, poking her head out the bus to implore them to keep going.

Passing the torch
And they did, at a dead run. By the time they caught up I was about one minute away from my turn.

And here comes Marta. The torch pass was delayed 30 seconds or so while the TV crews got their shots - I guarantee I was all over Brazilian television yesterday - and then we touched torches to transfer the flame and I was off.

Too fast, my guardian told me. "Let the camera truck get a bit ahead," he said as I slowed to a walk briefly. And then I was off again, running smoooothly with police officers all around me, and keeping up a steady dialogue the whole way.

I felt young again for most of the 200 metre run, especially as I saw out of the corner of my eye my son Matt trying to keep up with me as he videoed the experience. "So fast," he puffed to me later.

Too fast, I responded.

And then it was over, as I got to the next check-point and passed the flame off to runner #62. And I felt exhilarated and ready to do it all over again.

I was glad my family was there to watch - including my parents, who made the trip from Toronto, only to miss my run while trying to find my station (they got to watch the video, thanks to Matt) - and I am so happy I got to share the experience with them.

Truly unforgettable.

C'mon, Quebec City, or Calgary - I don't care. Win that Winter Olympic bid so I can do this again.

Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment